Thursday, July 19, 2007

Greg's Happy Sauce

I can't believe I've gone this long without a post on Greg's Happy Sauce. This is the sauce that got me into the business. It started as a recipe that I mixed up and modified heavily over the years as a marinade for venison. Everyone who tried it told me I should bottle it and sell it. In 2003 I had the opportunity to do that, and Happy Sauce was born.

The key ingredients are olive oil, honey, soy sauce, garlic, onion, ginger and cayenne pepper. You'll notice there's no water, corn syrup, ketchup, or any other "inexpensive" ingredients. Yes, it's a little more expensive than most sauces at $6.95/bottle, but where can you purchase a 16 oz bottle of olive oil or honey for less than that?

This isn't your standard barbeque sauce, but it works in most of the same situations. Smoked back ribs glazed in Happy Sauce are about as good as it gets. Marinate salmon fillets overnight and then grill for a wonderful seafood treat. For a great party pleaser, marinate slices of portabello mushrooms and then grill on a grill wok. Marinate chicken breasts overnight for chicken so tender and juicy you won't recognize it.

I haven't tried anything that the sauce was bad on. It works great on pulled pork, hamburgers, eggs, or even just mopped up with bread. I'm not sure I'm willing to go as far as the customer that likes it on ice cream, but to each his own.

No comments: