Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Backwards Spatchcocked Chicken


Last weekend I tried making chicken with the back down and breast up. Yes, a proper spatchcocked chicken will have the backbone cut out, but I decided to try it with the breast split, thus creating a reservoir for barbeque sauce during the cook.

It's sort of like "beer can chicken," but without the aluminum taste and an evenly cooked chicken with a crispy skin. I am not a big fan of beer can chicken or roasting holders. I love gadgets, but these holders just seem like a solution without a problem.

A lot of "experts" will tell you to grill chicken skin side up. I'm not sure what that accomplishes other than making sure that as much moisture is drawn out of the chicken as possible during the cooking process. And I absolutely hate rubbery skin!

The real trick for moist chicken is brining, but that's for another post. Suffice it to say if you're not brining your chicken, you have no idea what great chicken can taste like.

I basted the insides of the bird with a little Jim's Homestyle Bar-B-Que Sauce, and dribbled some on top as I plated it. I prefer the Hot version, but since we had a spice wimp in the crowd I used the Mild.

The meal generated thunderous applause!

No comments: