Thursday, June 21, 2007

Molto Mario Doesn't Like Bloggers

Eater.com gave Mario Batali a chance to vent in his article "Why I Hate Food Bloggers".

Hi Mario. Welcome to the internet.

It's a bit amusing that Mario is just finding out that the internet is full of anonymous and annoying people that will says things on blogs and forums that they wouldn't consider uttering in public.

Here's a hint: Everybody gets an equal voice. If you want to engage the internet, you have to speak up. You can't just sit in your kitchen and complain about bloggers. Do what you just did -- tell your side of the story. Your voice will be pretty loud because of who you are, so you've got a leg up on the competition. In fact, I had never heard the other side of the story that has him so exercised.

Yes, the internet is full of idiots. So is the mainstream media. The difference is that the bloggers aren't part of the old boys network that controls the food world. Why is the food editor of the Durham Herald Sun any more qualified to judge a new barbeque restaurant than I am? Does the "credentialed" media really have superior taste? Should I trust one of the chosen few to tell me where to eat and not another foodie that shares my interests?

I won't let a negative online review dissuade me from trying a restaurant. There's always somebody who is impossible to please or just wasn't in the right frame of mind for the experience. I've seen people bash The Skylight Inn in Ayden, which frankly should get them burned at the stake as a heretic. You just have to let that stuff slide. On the other hand, several bad reviews of a place with nothing on the other side will tell me that the place isn't worth investing the time.

You should treat information on the internet the same way you would treat a story from somebody sitting next to you in a restaurant. It's useful for context, but do your own research.

1 comment:

TierFlyer said...

I suggest that if reviews are legitimized on a lb/reviewer basis then you are vastly more qualified.

-TF