Saturday, June 2, 2007

Nuts!


A friend of mine told me about the cancellation of the TV show Jericho, which I didn't know about and dissappoints me. The fans have started a Nuts Campaign to send a message to CBS.

So it occurred to me, what can be done with all of those nuts? So I've dug up some of my favorite nuts recipes, just as a suggestion to the CBS execs.

Grilled Nuts

1 Cup of Shelled Peanuts
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp Cayenne Powder
1 splash bourbon

Melt the butter in a pan. When the butter is melted, splash in the bourbon -- don't use the good stuff, we're just looking for a little strong flavor. Add the Cayenne power as well, then mix in the nuts. Please all of this on a tinfoil sheet, crimping the corners to make a "pan." Grill on low heat until done. Sprinkle liberaly with kosher salt.

This recipe also works with pecans, walnuts, or just about anything. And according to the Planter's commercial, you can use barbeque sauce in a similar fashion, but I haven't tried that. I'd use something fairly thick with lots of flavor, like Cool Hawg.

Boiled Peanuts

4 lbs green peanuts in shell
4 quarts water
1 cup plain salt
1/4 cup Cayenne Pepper

This is a pretty easy recipe. To be authentic, you'll cook this over a campfire, but a stove burner does just as well. Wash the peanuts, then let them soak for a half hour. Bring the water to a hard boil, add the salt and stir until it disolves, then dump in the peanuts and cayenne pepper. Cut the heat back to where it's at more of a slow boil, and let it go untouched for 4 hours. At that point, start checking to see if they've reached the right level of doneness. The shell should fall away easily and the peanut should taste cooked.

The cayenne is optional, but I think it's a key ingredient for a little excitement. Boiled peanuts can be a bit bland without the right seasoning. You can also use barbeque rubs, lemon pepper, or about anything that strikes your fancy.

One last note. An aluminum pot on a campfire is a recipe for a hole in the bottom of the pot. They aren't designed to withstand that kind of heat. I saw it happen to a friend, it's not pretty.

This is a great use for the side burner on your gas grill. Boiled peanuts are best eaten while sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck.

Wasabi Peanuts

I wish I had a recipe for these! I've come across several, but I think there's a manufacturing process that goes into making the ones that we find in stores that would be difficult to replicate in my kitchen. So far now, I just buy wasabi peanuts.

No comments: