Thursday, August 2, 2007

I'm an Artist

I can't draw. I can't paint. I can't sing. I can't dance. Trust me on this, you don't want to see or hear any of that.

But I am an artist.

My canvas is a smoker, and a nice hunk of meat is my paint. I cook barbeque.

A neighbor took a fall and was having difficulty cooking dinner, so I threw a couple of butts on the smoker and brought her over several pre-wrapped, frozen packs of barbeque. I did it because that's the neighborly thing to do. But it's also my art.

I really enjoy the act of cooking. Getting the fire just right, pulling the pork when the internal temp is just right, and setting out an eye pleasing plate is a lot of fun. It's relaxing. I'd never open a restaurant, because that would turn my art into work.

Are you an artist?

No comments: