Monday, October 22, 2007

Pork Loin and Sauerkraut in a Dutch Oven

Last year I was lucky enough to receive a Dutch Oven for Christmas. I've made a few things in it in the oven, but hadn't really experimented with it on a fire until last week. The results were amazing.

Cover the bottom of the dutch oven with sauerkraut. Place a pork loin on top of the kraut. Add one cup of liquid -- all I had on hand was water, but a white wine or a dark beer would be even better. Season with caraway seed, black pepper, and garlic to taste. Then cover with a liberal squirt of a spicy brown mustard.

Put the over on a bed of coals, with coals on the lid. Turn the lid a quarter turn every 15 minutes, and cook for one hour.

Slice the pork loin on the bias, and serve with kraut. I also threw in a few chicken sausages that I had grilled a few days before.

Absolutely wonderful. The pork loin comes out fork tender and juicy.

The only thing I would change if I was serving this to a group of people would be to garnish with some red cabbage, because otherwise it's a very yellow/white dish. And some diced apples in the pot would have had a nice effect too, but I'm still doing the low carb thing.

No comments: